There’s something comforting about a dish that can be made in just one pot, and that’s exactly what I have for you today – One Pot Italian Chicken and Rice! As someone who loves Italian cuisine, I couldn’t resist putting my own spin on this classic dish.
This recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights when you want something delicious and filling without spending hours in the kitchen. The combination of tender chicken, flavorful Italian spices, and hearty rice will leave your taste buds satisfied and your belly full.
One of the best things about this dish is how easy it is to customize to your own preferences. You can swap out the chicken for your favorite protein, add in some vegetables for extra nutrition, or adjust the seasoning to your liking.
In this blog post, I’ll be sharing my own recipe for One Pot Italian Chicken and Rice, as well as some tips and tricks for making it perfect every time. So grab your apron, turn up some Italian music, and let’s get cooking!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets
- 4 drumsticks
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red capsicum/bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 whole garlic cloves, smashed with the back of a knife
- 1/2 cup pitted olives
- 1/2 cup Sundried tomato strips in oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or 1 1/2 cups water + 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (to serve)
- chopped parsley (to serve)
- Heat oven to 200c | 400F. Heat the oil in a large, shallow ovenproof cast iron skillet/or pan. Add the chicken and fry for 3-4 mins on medium-high heat. Turn and fry again until golden all over. Add the onion, red capsicum/peppers, and garlic and fry for about 3 mins or until lightly golden and the onion is transparent. Transfer the chicken onto a plate; stir the olives, sundried tomato strips, basil, oregano, parsley, and rice into the pan; allow the rice to soak up all the juices. Return the chicken pieces back to the pan on top of the rice; add the tomatoes and stock. Bring everything to a boil, and rotate the chicken in the sauce before transferring it to the oven. Cover with foil and allow to bake for about 40 minutes (depending on your oven) until the rice has softened. Remove the cover and change oven settings to grill/broil on medium heat; grill/broil for a further 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is crispy and golden.
- Season with a little salt to taste and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese (optional).
Calories: 573kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 48.2g | Fat: 22g | Fiber: 3g