Grilled Bruschetta Chicken is a flavorful, delicious, and healthy meal that is perfect for any occasion. This dish is made by grilling chicken breast and then topping it with a delicious mixture of fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, and olive oil. The result is a tasty and satisfying dish that is sure to impress your guests.
To make Grilled Bruschetta Chicken, start by seasoning your chicken breast with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Then grill the chicken until it is cooked through and has a nice char on the outside. While the chicken is cooking, prepare your bruschetta topping by mixing diced tomatoes, minced garlic, chopped basil, and olive oil in a bowl. Once the chicken is done, spoon the bruschetta mixture over the top and serve. This dish is perfect for summer cookouts, family dinners, or even meal prepping for the week ahead. Give it a try and see why it’s a fan favorite!
Ingredients required for Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
Balsamic-marinated chicken breasts are grilled until perfectly juicy, topped with creamy, melty fresh mozzarella, & served alongside a simple bruschetta made with marinated summer tomatoes, capers, & basil. This grilled bruschetta chicken is great served over pasta or alongside a simple salad. An easy & healthy summer dinner perfect for busy weeknights & summer entertaining alike!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Marinating Time (Inactive): 12 hours to 3 days
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: serves 4
Category: Main Dishes, Chicken Recipes
Method: Grilling & Smoking
Cuisine: American, Italian
Diet: Gluten Free
To make the bruschetta chicken marinade, you will need:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin or butterflied (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs of choice (e.g. basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, sage)
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- for serving, as desired: tomato bruschetta (below), crusty Italian bread, balsamic glaze or reduced balsamic, thinly sliced basil, etc.
For the tomato bruschetta:
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons chopped)
- 2 tablespoons capers, roughly chopped
- a small handful of fresh basil (roughly 10-12 leaves), roughly chopped
- 1 overflowing tablespoon of aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 overflowing tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & ground black pepper, to season
Preparation of Bruschetta Chicken Marinade
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large resealable bag and pour in the marinade.
- Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
How to make Bruschetta Chicken
1. Marinate the Chicken:
Place the chicken breasts in a large Ziplock bag or baking dish. Add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, mustard, garlic, Italian seasoning or chopped fresh herbs. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt & ground black pepper or crushed red pepper flakes as desired. Toss to combine, coating the chicken evenly in the balsamic marinade. Seal/cover & marinate in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 3 days.
2. Preheat the grill
At dinnertime, preheat the grill for medium-high direct heat grilling, 450-500 degrees F.
3. Prep the bruschetta
As the grill preheats, prep the bruschetta. Add the tomatoes, shallot, capers, basil, balsamic vinegar, & olive oil to a bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & ground black pepper or crushed red pepper flakes as desired. Gently stir to combine. Taste & adjust seasoning as desired.
4. Grill the chicken
Place the chicken on the preheated grill, discarding any excess marinade. Grill for 4-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. With about 2 minutes of cooking time left, layer sliced mozzarella over each piece of chicken. The cheese will melt beautifully as the chicken finishes cooking. Transfer the grilled chicken to a plate or small baking sheet.
5. Serve your grilled bruschetta chicken
Slice the chicken, then top with the prepared bruschetta. Top with a drizzle of balsamic glaze or reduced balsamic & a sprinkling of fresh herbs, as desired. This grilled bruschetta chicken is great on its own, served over pasta, or alongside a simple green salad with grilled bread. Enjoy!
- Storage & Reheating: Store leftover grilled bruschetta chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Enjoy leftovers cold or reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
- 15-Minute Meal Prep: Nearly all of the active prep work for this grilled bruschetta chicken comes from prepping the marinade & the bruschetta veggies. Take care of these in advance – it takes 15 minutes, tops:
- Prep balsamic chicken marinade: Prep the balsamic marinade according to Step 1 of Recipe Directions, above. If prepping within 3 days of making your grilled bruschetta chicken, marinate as described. If prepping outside of the suggested marinating time, store the balsamic marinade in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When you’re ready to start marinating, simply give the marinade a shake & pour it over the chicken breasts – easy! (10 minutes active prep)
- Veggie prep: Halve or quarter 12 ounces cherry/grape tomatoes & finely chop 1 small shallot. Store in individual airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. (5 minutes active prep)