Are you tired of the same old meatball recipes? If so, then you’re in luck because we have a delicious and cheesy meatballs casserole recipe that will have your taste buds dancing! This low-carb meatballs casserole recipe is perfect for those who are looking to cut down on their carb intake while still enjoying a hearty and satisfying meal.
One of the best things about this recipe is how easy it is to make. With just a few simple ingredients and some time in the oven, you’ll have a mouthwatering casserole that’s sure to impress. The meatballs are made with a mixture of ground beef and pork, giving them a rich and savory flavor that’s perfect for pairing with the cheese and tomato sauce.
But what really sets this recipe apart is the use of low-carb ingredients. Instead of traditional pasta, we use zucchini noodles to keep the carb count low. This not only makes the dish healthier but also adds a fresh and delicious flavor to the casserole.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner or a tasty meal to impress your guests, this cheesy meatballs casserole recipe is sure to be a hit. So grab your apron and get ready to whip up a dish that’s both delicious and nutritious!
- 2 lbs (900g) ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded parmesan
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup Marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice for topping (Mozzarella, Provolone, Monterrey Jack, Cheddar…)
- Fresh basil or parsley, for topping
- To prepare the meatballs casserole recipe: Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine ground turkey, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, onion powder, garlic, Italian seasoning, Cayenne, and crushed chili pepper flakes in a large salad bowl – except for the Marinara sauce, 1 cup cheese, and fresh basil that are set aside for the casserole. Use a small cookie scoop to form the meatballs all the same size and arrange the meatballs in the casserole dish.
- Bake your meatballs casserole for 15 to 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove the meatballs casserole from the oven and drain the grease.
- Top with the low-carb Marinara sauce and shredded cheese and put the meatballs casserole back in the oven. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese has fully melted.
- Serve the low-carb meatballs casserole with a side salad or over zucchini noodles as pictured. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR THE MEATBALL CASSEROLE RECIPE
- This cheesy meatball casserole is a fast and easy dinner option that’s 100% sure to please the whole family! Here are a few tips for tweaking it to your taste.
- You can also mix 1 lb (450g) ground beef and 1 lb (450g) spicy pork sausage instead of using ground turkey.
- We use a high-quality store-bought marinara sauce for this meatball casserole recipe, feel free to use whatever variety of sauce you prefer.
- This meatball casserole recipe is adaptable to a Crockpot. Follow the recipe instructions but instead of layering them into a baking dish, simply layer the meatballs into a slow cooker instead. Cook on low for 6 hours.